RSS

Three Tips on How to Quit Smoking for Good By Don George

There are many reasons to quit smoking. Those tips came to mind recently when a friend of mine told me she had COPA (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) and she told me her doctor told her the most important step she could take for her condition was to quit smoking and live in a smoke free environment. The how to quit smoking was up to her but a smoke free environment was another matter. So I put together these three tips that I consider to be a way for everyone to quit smoking (I was a previous smoker).
My number one tip is a form of goal setting. Actually create a date you will quit smoking, writing it down and telling someone will make you accountable to (be sure this person is strong) to that someone. This way you formalize your attempt to quit, none of us like to fail. And of course your accountability coach is paramount; this person will be your conscience. It may (and usually does) take several attempts, and with each attempt the odds of you being successful will increase, so do not give up. When you chose your date to quit smoking, be sure to make it when it is a date you usually have little to no stress. As we all know stress is a major roadblock to any behavioral change. OK, now go mark it on your calendar! This way as the date approaches you will stay mentally and emotionally focused on the date as a time for a new beginning and better health for you and those around you (second-hand smoke is very dangerous to you and yours).
Secondly go out and remove any triggers that have connected your brain to smoking. Everyone's triggers are different. Some examples would be the smell of cigarette smoke, your morning coffee, a social gathering with alcohol, or maybe you spotting an ashtray. Any of those triggers sound familiar to you, of course they do - they were my triggers! You might want to talk with your family about getting cigarettes, ashtrays, and lighters out of your house. Just remove anything that reminds you of smoking from your life (at least all that are practical). I assure this is no piece of cake, at first, it will be rough. About twenty-four hours after you quit you probably will feel miserable, but remember you are doing this for your health. You may feel hungry, anything to put in your hands you will want to put in your mouth but once you get by the first few days it does get better. I suggest you keep some sugar-free gum or hard candy in your pocket during this short-term fix (this is an addiction) when you grave a cigarette. Will someone explain to me why cigarettes are legal? They kill people!
Those of you who smoke cigarettes are simply addicted to nicotine (something nice that is conveniently ignored). From all that I have read and believe I have found that the nicotine in cigarettes is every bit as addictive as heroin or cocaine (both illegal). Guys s sometimes it may take a major catastrophe, such as a hospitalization, for you to be able to stop smoking and stay as ex-smokers (I hope you do not take it that far, my business partner took it that far and he is no longer with us, he left this world way too soon and he is sorely missed). While no two smokers are alike, attempting to quit smoking is guaranteed to increase your feelings of stress, your anxiety and depression. But you can quit.
The odds of you quitting cigarettes once and for all adds up in you favor over time. An example would be that each time you make the attempt (if you do not succeed the first time) the odds increase in your favor, like the fourth time you may have twenty per cent chance of really making it. So, please take my three tips to heart; set a date to stop, remove your triggers and get an understanding of why you smoke. Like it or not, you a nicotine addict! And as always you must live well to be well.
I think. I read. I care. I inform. I coach. Do you have this problem? I did at one time but no more.
It is not easy but for sure I am here to help, if you are ready. The desire must be real and I then can help you accomplish your goal of getting off the nasty cigarette habit once and for all. Reach out to, my help is free.
As always
don george
wellness coach
wellnesscoach2@comcast.net
1(603) 686-7186


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6228629

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

free counters