RSS

Eight Questions Every Smoker Should Ask Themselves By Damian O'Hara

When I was a smoker I tried not to think about smoking because when I did, I ended up feeling stupid and frightened. When I eventually plucked up the courage to confront my smoking, here are some of the questions I began to ask myself as a smoker and they put me on the road to freedom.
1. When did you decide to become a smoker for life? When you lit those first few experimental cigarettes as a child or young adult, were you really deciding to be a smoker for life? Did you really think that those first cigarettes would put you in this situation today?
2. If smoking is so great, why does everyone want to quit? Over 70% of adult smokers want to quit. If smokers genuinely enjoyed smoking, they wouldn't want to quit.
3. Have you ever met a smoker who would encourage their kids to start smoking? Why are smokers always so happy when their kids grow up to be non-smokers? Is it because we don't want them to make the same mistake as we did? If smokers enjoyed smoking, they wouldn't perceive smoking as a mistake -they would want to share this pleasure with their children and the fact that they don't raises a big red flag for me: Why not?
4. If smoking relieves stress, why aren't smokers less stressed than non-smokers? Research shows that smokers are far more stressed than non-smokers. If smoking genuinely relieved stress, then the opposite would be true. Smokers are also much more likely than non-smokers to suffer from anxiety disorders and depression.
5. If physical withdrawal from nicotine is so bad, then why can chain-smokers sleep through the night? Most smokers think they only go into withdrawal when they try to stop smoking but the reality is that withdrawal starts the second a smoker puts out a cigarette. If withdrawal is so bad, then why can smokers sleep through every night when they go to bed? Do you think a heroin addict could sleep through heroin withdrawal?
6. What is the true cost of smoking? We think in terms of the cost of smoking as being the cost of smokes (which is bad enough these days), but this isn't really the case. If each cigarette takes ten minutes out of our day, then a pack-a-day smoker spends 200 minutes a day smoking - or three hours and twenty minutes. Over a year, this amounts to over 1200 hours or 152 working days spent smoking. At $20 per hour, this amounts to $24,320 in time lost due to smoking. This is time you could have spent working, or relaxing, or with your family, or studying.
Then there is the biggest cost of all - losing between 8-24 years of your one and only life. And what of those who are left behind. What is the cost they pay?
7. Why doesn't it take you willpower not to take cyanide? Even if you were totally immune to the effects of cyanide, would you take it? Of course not. It's not knowing that cyanide is bad for you that makes it easy to turn down, it's knowing that there is no upside to taking it. Same with smoking. It isn't knowing that smoking is bad for you that makes it easy to quit, it's knowing that there are no benefits to smoking.
8. If smoking helps to control weight, why do we see so many overweight smokers? I told myself that I smoked to keep thin, ignoring the inconvenient fact that as a smoker I was 60lbs overweight. When I quit smoking I started exercising, eating properly and cut back dramatically on my drinking (most of which was consumed so that I could be somewhere I could smoke). The weight fell off me.
See smoking for what it really is and feel your fear of quitting recede...
Damian O'Hara quit smoking in 2000 at an Allen Carr's Easyway seminar. Today he is the President of Allen Carr North America who offer quit smoking seminars, webcasts and books... http://www.TheEasywayToStopSmoking.com.


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6229400

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

free counters